Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eggplant Involtini

I get quite a few cooking magazines in the mail. Some months I have so many dinner ideas running through my head that I get a little overwhelmed because I don't have time to fix them all. Other times, I can't seem to find any good recipes.

I am linking up with someone for something today... I just don't remember what. Let me check. 

Found it. I am linking up with 33 Shades of Green to give you my:
Cooking Light magazine usually gives me lots of good, healthy ideas... not that I ever really follow recipes exactly. I tend to find something that sounds good and try to make it with ingredients I have. It works pretty well.

This issue:
had a recipe for something called Eggplant Involtini. Decided to make it because I thought it was a cocktail. Just kidding, but not exactly. 
This is how it looked! 
Found out involtini means meat wrapped around something. (Hope that description wasn't too technical for you.) So, I guess this is a take on that.

When Kati was home last weekend we were really busy and going different directions. Usually we get to cook a few meals together when she is back, but we didn't get to this time. So, the night before she left, even though we had gone out for supper, we decided to cook together. Picked up the ingredients...well, most of them. (It wasn't as if I planned to follow the recipe exactly anyway.)

These were our ingredients...
Let's see... spaghetti sauce, Ricotta, garlic, an egg, some cheese, some lemon zest. Salt/pepper, too.

The recipe actually had you make your own red sauce. Not gonna happen when it is already getting late and I am tired...or maybe anytime. So, for $.99 we turned to Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce. I am so cheap.

At first we put some of the ingredients in a bowl... but then...
we realized that it called for using the food processor, so we dumped everything in there. Oh, wait... that picture was supposed to come later... that one shows the cheese in it!
Also, look what a good job Kati did zesting that lemon. And, not to brag, but I actually figured out how to rotate, crop, and use this picture. Not a big deal when you are technologically savvy... but, a big deal for me!
The recipe called for eggplant slices about a 1/4 inch thick. I really like my Pampered Chef slicer and so I used that and my slices were pretty thin... probably about 1/8 of an inch thick. Close enough.
It was starting to get late and I was pretty tired. So, here I am in all my late night beauty. I will probably never be one of Barker's Beauties... maybe they don't call them that anymore.
Here are the slices:
Salted and peppered and broiled (spray the foil with nonstick spray) on high for about 1-1 1/2 min per side. Watch those buggers, they tend to brown pretty fast.
We spread some of the mixture of cheesy goodness on each piece and rolled them up. Put some sauce in the bottom of the pan and place the rolls on top. (Seam side down...that's probably obvious.)

Cover with more sauce. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese... yum. Baked for about 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees? I don't remember....
I would rotate this picture if I wasn't so tired.
They were delicious! The Stern German got a few of them in his lunch the next day along with some meat (otherwise it wouldn't be considered a real meal). Since he had gone to bed by the time we started making them, he really wasn't sure what he was eating. I don't think these wowed him.. maybe it is a girl meal/snack/side dish!

He would have liked them better if they had meat in them... maybe some browned and crumbled Italian sausage? He would probably have liked them even better with a steak and a glass of red wine... especially if they also had the Italian sausage in them. (If he is ornery enough that could always be on the menu for the man with high cholesterol... except we would skip the wine since that is now considered Heart Healthy... just kidding.... I wouldn't do that...he could still have the wine.)
This was pretty vague. It is late and I am really tired. For measurements, temperatures, and more go visit Kati at her blog. She probably blogged about this recipe better and more accurately than me!
Incorporating Color


No comments:

Post a Comment