Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things (Stores!)

I will take time later in the week to tell you about my five day adventure with my family. We will get home today from my oldest's college graduation and subsequent move to Nebraska. It has been busy and there is a lot to tell. But, for now, I am going to talk about some of my favorite stores.

I live in a pretty small town..plenty of seedy bars, not so many good shopping spots...unless you like antiques. We have a pretty high antique store to resident ratio. It is right up there with the seedy bar to resident ratio!

So, being just an hour from the Minneapolis area (read: Mall of America!) here are a few of my favorite places to drop a dollar or two:
As my bumper sticker from Penzeys Spices says, "Love people, cook them tasty food!" They have several hundred spices and it's always fun to experiment. (Their catalog usually comes with a coupon for free spices, and I do love free stuff!)

Also, the catalog always has some good recipes to try.  Plus, the stores smell so good. I have never ordered anything from them online, because I live within an hour of a store. I only get there a few times  year, but since I love making my family try unique foods, Penzeys is a great place to get spices/seasonings I can't find in my small town.

Also, I really like:
source
Oh, Trader Joe's...so many good things here. I love their sauces, snacks, wines (Two Buck Chuck!), soups, samples, etc. Hmmmm, if I could have come up with a word for wines that started with an "s" I would have had some great alliteration! Hey, how 'bout "spirits?" (Juscht don't try to schay all that witsch a schevere lischp becausche that would schuck: schausches, schnacksch, schpiritsch, schoupsch, and schamplesch...) I can be so juvenile.
They also have great tote bags that are so cute. I own a few different ones This is my favorite:

The last one for now is:
source
I do like IKEA. Before we had a store in Minnesota (just a few months before ours was supposed to open) we had moved into a different home. We needed so much stuff to organize the girls' rooms that  the three of us took a spur-of-the-moment road trip to Schaumburg, Illinois to shop one Saturday. My girls were in about kindergarten and 8th grade then.

My husband was out of town at a class that day which was good or he would have tried to talk me out of the trip. I drove 6 1/2 hours to go to Ikea, shopped for four hours, filled the van with a variety of wondrous stuff, and drove home again. Since we didn't decide to go until 10:00 in the morning, we got home at 5:00 am the next day. It was so much fun! (Yes, my girls are fantastic road trip partners. They rarely ever sleep in the car, but they are good at entertaining themselves.)

Another time I will tell you a few other places that I love to shop at!

Have you been to these stores?


2 comments:

  1. I too am a big fan of Trader Joe's, I can pretty much walk to one. I love their pretzels rolls. If you haven't checked them out, you should.

    I'm only 45 minutes from the Ikea in Michigan. So I get to frequent it more often than not. I love going there when I am redecorating a room, because they have cute little pieces to pull the whole thing together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh. I haven't been to Trader Joe's in forever! Loved that store.

    Visiting you from the link up! =)

    ReplyDelete