Monday, June 25, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Week 9)

Seriously?

I've done this eight times already? Time flies...apparently I'm having more fun than I thought. :)

Linking up with Kati and Kate to bring you The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of my weekend!
Incorporating Color
The Good:
I was able to go to the Stern German's family reunion... yeah, I guess that's good.  I haven't been to it in years since I am usually cooking for about 100 people at a camp when they have this reunion. For my contribution to the evening I made a macaroni salad and...I made sangria!
The wonderful ingredients
                                 
Sangria in the making!                                      
                     
                           official sangria container

The Stern German cooked the main meal...
in a garbage can. 

Well, in two garbage cans. (There were over 50 people there!) We call it a Polish Luau. Should probably be called a Redneck Luau. You know you're a redneck if you cook your grub in a garbage can...

There are beer cans in the bottom of the garbage can... (definitely a Redneck Luau... they used the cheapest beer out there!) then a grate... then bags of veggies (potatoes, carrots, corn, etc,) and bags of cased meats (hot dogs, bratwurst, ring bologna, kielbasa, etc.).

Here's a picture of the cook... He looks a little too happy...
He realized he was endangering his stern image so he wanted me to retake the picture:
Yep, much better, Stern German... and you got the trademark thumbs up going for you.

Then the garbage can sits over an open fire for an hour and a half...
Then you dump it out and eat. It's really good food!
The Bad:
The Stern German has a brother.... that looks  a lot like him....but, thankfully, I think my German is a little less crazy... look at that, he doesn't even look stern. Wow, that's two pictures in one night of a Less-Than-Stern German... The world is probably coming to an end.
Maybe the Stern German's brother forgot his meds...
The Ugly:
This boy thought he was Batman... Guess what? He's really not Batman. He is the Stern German's first cousin once removed... It might have been cute if he was seven... but I think he was 17. You can choose your friends, but not your relatives.... but, really.

I told the Angsty Teen that she cannot marry this boy... and not just because they are second cousins.
Another Ugly:
Tried this for the first time. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Loved it more than the sangria... well, maybe not... but it was absolutely delicious. It isn't gluten free... but if that doesn't matter to you, you might wanna grab one of these, pour it over ice, and give it a try.
New favorite summer drink!
Okay, that is it for my weekend. Hope you had a good one, too!

What was good, bad, or ugly in your weekend?

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! What a fun way to cook for lots of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried a Lime-a-rita this weekend too! NOT TOO SHABBY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go down a little too fast...

      Delete
  3. I made your hashbrown cheesy casserole of love! It was great - a hit with everyone! I love your blog. Thanks to Mom Mary Ann for telling me about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it turned out well! Can't go wrong with all those good ingredients.

      Hope you are doing well... raising two teens! Bless you...

      Delete