Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tasty Tuesday!

Last week I shared a picture of these delicious Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas that I made. They were so good and they were topped with my Cheesy Sauce of Goodness...
I never took a picture of the ingredients, but it goes something like this:

2 cooked/shredded boneless, skinless chicken breasts (maybe about 2 cups??)
1/2 bag of frozen corn (use more for cheap filler if you want to use less chicken!)
1 can rinsed and drained black beans
1 cup salsa
12 small tortillas (I used flour... use corn if you like them better or if you need to eat gluten-free)
1 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican mix, Monterey Jack.... it doesn't really matter)
oil for browning tortillas (vegetable, canola, etc.) 

Cheesy Sauce of Goodness:
 1/4 loaf of Velveeta Queso Fresco "cheese" cut into 1 inch chunks
 1/2 milk or so... maybe a bit more

Toppings: Salsa and sour cream

I cooked my chicken with taco seasoning in a frying pan with a little bit of oil. Don't over cook them or they will be dry. If you end up undercooking them a bit, it's ok... they'll cook a little more by the end. I probably cook thawed chicken breasts about five minutes per side...but if they are bigger... add more time. (I am such an Approximist... the Stern German, being an Exactist, does not appreciate this quality of mine.)

Add the shredded chicken, corn, beans, and salsa to a medium-sized pan.

In a small saucepan, melt the Velveeta Queso Fresco over a low heat. When it is melted add milk-start with 1/2 cup... add more if necessary to get it to a pourable consistency. (I actually melted half of the loaf and made extra queso dip for the Angsty Teen.)

Add the queso mixture to the chicken mixture. It might look something like this:
 I like to brown/crisp up the tortillas before filling them. It gives them a wonderful texture when you eat them. I just read a recipe that was low/no fat for something similar to this. They suggested dipping the tortillas in boiling water to soften them. I like the golden color you get from lightly frying them.

Heat a thin layer of oil in a pan. Place a tortilla in the pan and cook until it starts to puff up. It doesn't take too long. Remove tortilla to a paper towel on a cutting board (it will help absorb extra oil). 
Brown it on just one side
Fill it with a glob of chicken mixture. "Glob" is a technical cooking term... FYI.
Fold in the sides first.. then roll it up and set it seam side down in the pan. (The crispy tortilla will make is oddly shaped... but continue on...) Use a pan that is roughly 9x13 that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. My white Corningware dish is a nice size for this recipe.

Continue to do this w/all of the tortillas. Add a little more oil to the pan as needed.

The enchiladas don't have to look perfect... the Cheesy Sauce of Goodness covers up a multitude of sins... even though it adds a few inches to your hips... just sayin'.
 Pour the Cheesy Sauce of Goodness over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle w/the shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Top with a handful of chopped cilantro before serving.
 I do the same thing with my salsa... top it with freshly chopped cilantro. So good. (Use the leaves and the stems... it all tastes great.)
This is my salsa dish that I painted at a pottery store on the first spring break trip I took with my college girl. Every time I use it I smile. 
Serve the enchiladas on warm plates with salsa and sour cream. One of my favorite meals!
Some ways to simplify this recipe would be to cook the chicken and/or make the filling a day or two before you make the enchiladas. You could also assemble the enchiladas ahead of time and bake them later that day or the next day.

Feel free to play with the ingredients. Add or subtract depending on your tastes/dietary needs.

When you have made the enchiladas a few times, it will probably seem pretty simple... especially if making them means that you get to sip a margarita while you make the meal and have another one while you eat the enchiladas! 
My favorite ingredients:
so good....
 The sugar-free mix tastes... well, like it is sugar-free. But, my hips and thighs appreciate the gesture, I think. If you squeeze a few wedges of lime in your glass... it helps. Sometimes I use triple sec, but sometimes I squeeze a half of a fresh orange in my glass instead! Keeps me from getting scurvy...
Rub the lime on the rim...
Roll the edge of your glass in some Kosher salt

Mix all the ingredients and pour over ice in the salt-rimmed glass.

Enjoy your wonderful dinner!

Do you make enchiladas with different ingredients? I would love to hear about it!

Linking up with these blogs for fun recipes:
Click here!

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! Thanks so much for your kind words on my post :)
    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete