Monday, July 2, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Week 10)

Linking up with Kati and Kate to bring you The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of my weekend.
Incorporating Color
I'm in Nebraska cooking for two sessions of camp. This is a picture of the kitchen and that cart in the front is what we load all the food on... 
Then the kids haul it over to either The Maple Room:
or to the new yet-to-be-named building if it is rainy or really windy.
I suggested the building be called "Hail to the Lord" since there have been three hail storms here this summer... and there was enough damage to warrant a significant insurance check... now they can pay to have bathrooms put in it!

Anyway, back to the the task at hand...

The Good (or maybe it should be called "The Freakin' Unbelievably Great"):

The Angsty Teen (and her friend) helped me in the kitchen EVERY day for EVERY meal and with the clean up after the meals... putting away leftovers, washing dishes, wiping things down... and it went better than I ever thought it could have.
 Making yogurt parfaits for breakfast
She hardly complained at all.... She did a super job of pitching in and helping. I was amazed.

She had one melt down... two nights ago... but it wasn't from having to work...apparently a frog peed on her... not sure how that happened... but she stopped at the kitchen to tell me about it after the evening meeting.

Then she refused to leave the kitchen in the dark to go back to the house.... because she didn't want to come across any more frogs...

She wanted me to walk to the house... about 80 feet away... get the car, drive back to the kitchen, and give her a ride to the house. I hate those peeing frogs as much as the next person, but that was never gonna happen...

No frogs in the kitchen!
 The Bad:

All I have to say is that...THESE ARE NOT EYE DROPS!
Relieves pain, itching, swelling... 
Okay, I lied, that is not all I have to say.

The Angsty Teen was complaining that her eye was stinging from getting sunscreen/sweat in it.

I was sitting on the couch near her... making sympathetic sounds... kind of ignoring the situation because the drama was building... best not to engage... or make eye contact.

I casually suggested that some people might choose to rinse their eye with water. She did, I think, but I guess it didn't help.

She said she needed eye drops. Her friend who came to camp with us went down to the nurse's station and found drops. (Note to everyone everywhere.... if your friend is not a rocket scientist... or a nurse... or a doctor... or, well, you get the idea, you should probably check the label yourself.)

Next thing I know the Angsty Teen was laying on the floor holding her eye and SCREAMING.

Even though the products above say that they relieve pain, itching, and swelling... they also clearly state that they are for "INSECT BITE RELIEF."

When I tell people that the Angsty Teen got bug bite drops in her eye they inevitably ask "Didn't she scream?" I say, "Of course she did... but she is always screaming about something.... I just tune her out."

There goes that Mother of the Year Award.... again.

I got involved in the situation... didn't want her to go blind and have to live at home her whole life.

Everything turned out fine.
They are still friends... and they both read labels on medicines better... I think.
The Ugly:

I made the most delicious Garlic Cheesy Pull-Aparts to go with our spaghetti supper tonight...
lots of cheesy goodness
I doubled a camp recipe for bread dough... that means I used 28 cups of flour for these things! I made a double batch of dough earlier today for dinner rolls. So I used 56 cups of flour today. Dang.

I grabbed little pieces of dough (walnut-sized?), dropped them in melted butter with garlic salt/powder (whatever they had in the kitchen) in it, pulled them out, put them in a pan one layer deep, sprinkled them with a little Italian seasoning, and baked them.
I have done this many times before... but last night I had the brilliant idea to pull them out of the oven and bake them covered with shredded cheese (cheddar and mozzarella) for the last five minutes. (I probably baked them for about 15ish minutes overall... at 350 degrees. So much cheesy goodness.... so ugly...

How was your weekend?

1 comment: