Thursday, August 23, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan

On Saturday I came across the recipe for this Eggplant Parmesan on the Food Network website:
(source)
I thought it looked fantastic. I also thought it sounded like a lot of work... Make my own red sauce? and my own Italian breadcrumbs? Pshhht... they sell those things... for a reason.

But I rethought this stance... even though I usually I like to not do those things... I thought, why not?

It was a quiet Saturday afternoon... the Stern German was gone for half the day and the Angsty Teen was at marching sitting (on-the-sidelines-in-a-camping-chair-resting-her-janky-knee) band practice.

It was Bobby Flay's Eggplant Parmesan recipe and it had a five star rating. And I had bought that big, big bottle of Chianti which I didn't know was horrible yet. Thought I could cook and sip all afternoon.

All these things were determining factors in my decision to forge ahead with such a labor intensive recipe. (Plus the fact that if I didn't spend the time cooking in my kitchen I knew I should probably spend the time cleaning my kitchen... definitely a motivating factor!)

So I poured a nice glass of Chianti and got to it.

I had some not-so-fresh Italian bread that I pulsed in my blender... spread out on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and browned... just like the recipe said! Wow... followed a recipe!

I wasn't sure the wine was that bad... maybe if I had another glass it would taste better... besides everyone deserves a second chance. So I poured a bit more of the Chianti.

Then I started on the ingredients for the sauce... again, just like the recipe said! Except that I realized I only had two cans of tomato products (think I used a can of whole and a can of diced) instead of three...oh well... I was so close. (Do you love Psych?)

Yep, I realized that the wine was, indeed, lousy. I rooted through my freezer for some kind of juice. Found a can of frozen concentrate for cranberry juice. Pretty sure that was left from a year ago... when I made sangria for a lake party. Put about a third of that in the pitcher with the wine and threw in a sliced up orange.

Usually I put in a lot more fruit... but I was trying to focus on the other recipe.

Instead of letting the sangria sit for a few hours... I decided it would be fine with just sitting a few minutes. I poured myself a glass and continued to work on the sauce.

After I sliced and diced and sauteed stuff I put it through the blender in a few batches to puree it... just like the recipe told me to!

I must've poured a really small glass of sangria... that sucker was already gone. Time to pour another.

I thought that the Angsty Teen wouldn't think this recipe sounded good, so I decided to cook up some Fettuccine Alfredo for her... and thought a little of that and a little Eggplant Parmesan on the plate would look impressive to the Stern German who was gonna get a meal without meat.

Got the pasta cooked and was just about to cut the eggplant into... and the Stern German texted me that he wouldn't be home for supper.

Time to put the sauce in the fridge and the breadcrumbs in a container. I would continue this adventure another day.

At that point the Angsty Teen and I just had the Fettuccine Alfredo for supper and watched a movie.

On Sunday, I finished the Eggplant Parmesan. (Doing it in two sessions made the labor-intensive recipe so much more manageable!)
This is mine!!!!!


After frying for three min. on each side
May or may not have made another vat  pitcher of sangria...
Eggplant dredged, egged, breadcrumbed.
JUST LIKE THE RECIPE TOLD ME TO DO IT!

I layered it in the pan with sauce and cheese... just like the recipe said... except that I used some different cheese... just used what I had on hand... grated parmesan and fresh mozzarella.
Layered in the pan... eggplant, sauce, cheese...
Topped with fresh mozzarella...
I do think this was one of the most fantastic things I have ever tasted... even though there wasn't any meat in it (my most insincere apologies to the Stern German... who claims he doesn't read this... but I'm not sure I believe that)...

It was amazingly delicious... especially with another glass of sangria!

Linking up with:

Obviously MARvelousBassgiraffe's Thoughts Thursday Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. Yum, love some egg-parm! Thanks for linking up to our Pretty Things party. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete