Thursday, August 30, 2012

Giving the Blind Guy a Knife...

Last week... and again yesterday... my geriatric father and I made ceviche.

Do you now what ceviche is?

Basically it is a mixture of raw fish, onion, peppers, tomatoes, salt, lemon juice, and lime juice.

The fish is raw... but the lime and lemon juice kind of "cook" it.. or cure it... the fish changes from looking raw... to looking white-ish and cooked... weird.

So here is my dad cutting up the Roma tomatoes we used.


When the Angsty Teen saw this picture on my phone she screamed out loudly, in my ear, "You gave the blind guy a knife?!?!?!?!?"
To which I replied, "Yep, I did."

After that I gave him a BIGGER knife!
Back in the 50s the man actually sold knives... he's a pro... except he can't really see...  I was hoping this would be a lot like riding a bike.

But when he hollered "OUCH!" I was a little concerned... 

The day before he had told me a story about when his grandmother made sauerkraut, oh so many years ago. Apparently she was using a big old cutter for the cabbage and she shaved off the tip of her finger into the mix.

The cabbage sat in a crock, fermented, and turned into kraut. The next winter when they ate it someone got the fingertip on their plate... nasty... nasty... nasty story.

The good news? (The good news for this time and place.... not for his grandmother.) He was fine. No blood... no lost fingertip!

Then he had to use it...

After making all those urgent bathroom sounds... I was more than a little worried that this wouldn't be what I would see:
But the wheelchair cushion was dry! Yay! Makes life so much easier.

Then he rolled the limes and lemons to loosen them up for juicing...
Rolling and squeezing the limes and lemons wore him out. So...

I cut up the raw fish. It wasn't a terrible task, but raw fish is hard to slice and dice!

The fish was Swai. (The package says it is pronounced "Es-Why"... really? That's weird.)





There it is!
It's a flaky white fish that you can buy pretty cheaply at Walmart. "If Walmart doesn't have it, we don't need it!" is my father's mantra.
I cut the fish up...
My dad added the cilantro, tomato, and onion that we had chopped...
Then he stirred it up... 

And there it is...

We let it cure for a few hours... and then we had ceviche!
My parents had theirs for supper on Tostitos Scoops chips.

Since the Stern German was out of town I invited a friend over for a glass of wine and ceviche.

I loved it! But I think I would like pretty much anything with cilantro, lime, and jalapenos.

It was a good activity to do with my dad...  kept him from napping and got him to be actively involved in life...

This is a lot like being a stay-at-home mom with a toddler... except I am never at home... and the toddler is big... really big.... dang.

Bassgiraffe's Thoughts Thursday Blog HopObviously MARvelous

No comments:

Post a Comment