Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Day of School... sort of...

Yesterday was the first day of school for my Angsty Teen... sort of. The freshmen started. Today everyone else shows up and she actually has classes. (But the early morning marching band sessions started Tuesday!)

Usually I sit home and drink mimosas and bask in the solitude. I love being home alone and it rarely seems to happen.

Things were a little different this year because I spent the morning with my dad... but let me tell you about the earlier part of the day... and the traditions I began many years ago.

First Day of School Breakfast:
About 17 years ago I began the tradition of making mini-cinnamon rolls for my wonderful children for breakfast on this auspicious morn.

Then when Kati was in high school and had to be at school for marching band before 6:30 am I realized what a dumb tradition this was.

I did get up early and make the rolls... but that meant I was getting up at 5:30... again, dumb tradition. Be careful if you start a tradition that you are able to sustain it.

Last year with the Angsty Teen one year away from the early morning marching band practice time, I realized that I really didn't want to once again have to get up at 5:30 to get the mini-cinni rolls made.

Yet I didn't want to make the Angsty Teen feel like she wasn't important.

So last year when I asked what she wanted for her First Day of School Breakfast. I said, "I will do what you want. I could make you cinnamon rolls or we could stop and get a doughnut on the way to school at Casey's" (That little convenience store makes the best doughnuts in our town and we only get them a couple times a year.)

She was so enthralled with the idea of getting a doughnut... that I was off the hook! Yea!

Fast forward to this year. The evening before school started I sent her a text while she was riding the bus home from her out-of-town volleyball game.

I just went with what options were the easiest... especially as I was at the grocery store when I sent the message. I already had everything for the fruity spinach smoothies she had been having and I knew she wouldn't want cereal...
I picked up the calorie-laden, delicious chocolate chocolate chip muffins and... I was done.

Except for the Back-to-School Present.... why do I start these traditions?
Such a good job of wrapping it...
No peeking!
I really overspent on this one...  but she was happy.
And after my morning.... this was the lunch I had to celebrate school starting!

Did you ever have any traditions like these? If you ever start traditions... keep 'em simple... you may be doing them for a long, long, long, long time... just sayin'.

Bassgiraffe's Thoughts Thursday Blog Hop
Obviously MARvelous

15 comments:

  1. Your traditions are SO sweet and I'm sure she truly appreciates them - you're a WONDERFUL mother :)

    I'm visiting from the Thursday bloghop and wanted to let you know I am your newest follower.
    I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week Sally (and have a mimosa!!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome lunch idea/tradition love it and very cute first day of school traditions i found you over the at Thirsty Thursday blog hop I'll be following along have a wonderful rest of the week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower from the thirsty thursday blog hop! Stop by and follow back:
    http://babycakescrunchymomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there and thank you for your information ? I've certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this web site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I'm adding this RSS to
    my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective
    interesting content. Make sure you update this again soon.
    Here is my web-site - it managed services boston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You're incredible!
    Thanks!
    Feel free to visit my web page - I loved this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is one of the most important information for me.

    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The
    website style is perfect, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers
    Feel free to surf my web site :: Developers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog you have here.. It's difficult to find high quality writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
    Review my web blog :: Does Skinception Work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're
    just too fantastic. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which you say it.

    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart.

    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a great website.
    Look into my blog see

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I
    find this topic to be actually something which I think
    I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very
    broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!
    Look into my web page - I was reading this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there to every body, it's my first pay a quick visit of this webpage; this web site carries amazing and really fine stuff in favor of visitors.
    Here is my site - explained here

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!
    Also visit my website - adsense

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i got here to go back the favor?
    .I am trying to find things to enhance my web site!
    I assume its adequate to make use of a few of your ideas!

    !

    Feel free to visit my homepage :: that guy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll
    be grateful if you continue this in future.
    Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    Visit my web-site ... on the main page

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never
    understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for
    your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!

    Have a look at my web blog :: phen375 amazon

    ReplyDelete
  15. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who has been conducting a little research on this. And he actually bought me dinner because I found it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to talk about this issue here on your website.

    my webpage home

    ReplyDelete