Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Gluten-Free Chex Mix!

In preparation for Kati coming home for Thanksgiving, I wanted to make some fun snacky-type stuff.

I thought it would be fun to make some Chex Mix... and since Corn and Rice Chex are both gluten-free, it seemed like a simple recipe to make totally gluten-free.
The finished product... yum.
Here is the recipe for Chex Mix... 

The recipe called for three cups each of Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Wheat Chex...  obviously I didn't use the Wheat Chex! I used Rice Chex and Corn Chex... I just used nine cups total of those two.

I also added an overflowing cup of Glutino Gluten-Free Pretzel Twists. (These are delicious)

Along with the pretzels I added a heaping cup of Glutino Gluten Free Bagel Bites.
All of this was from Walmart.
Looks pretty tasty already!
 For the seasonings I used a little less butter (You're welcome, Kati.) and...not the Heinz Worcestershire sauce. I had recently bought the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce because I thought I was out. I was surprised that I still had the Heinz bottle in the refrigerator.
The Heinz brand says it contains wheat!!! Glad I read that label. So, I threw that bottle out and used the Lea & Perrins instead.

I also added Lawry's Seasoned Salt and garlic salt... it called for garlic powder... I didn't I have that... It also calls for onion powder... didn't have that either... oops.

Oh, and I eliminated the nuts... Kati doesn't really like those and she would love to have the mix have fewer calories... am I right, Kati?

I was going to use the oven method because I was leery of the mix crisping up in the microwave... but then I read the amount of time saved by making it in the microwave and since it was getting late I decided to go with the microwave method.

So the mix is cooling in the kitchen... I think it will be delicious...

I may or may not have tasted it... and I may or may not have burned my tongue... dang.

Tomorrow I will make some for the rest of us to eat... with cheap pretzels and bagel crisps...

Happy Snacking, Kati! I'm glad you don't have to watch your sodium intake.
(source)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yay! You're right about the peanuts... Are you calling me fat? See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete