Tuesday, December 4, 2012

All I Want for Christmas...

Linking up with Leslyn at Leslyn's Lovely Life to bring you:

Leslyn's Lovely Life

Also linking up with:



... to find some new great blogs to read! (Oh, and to those of you stopping by from this linkup... I'm not a complete idiot... but I never got a chance to edit my little picture... it just posted...so my wine glass is spilling out... and it won't let me redo it... oh well...)

I think it is time for some Christmas music!

I have glorious visions of having a fun family evening all putting up the tree together... Christmas carols playing... hot chocolate in hand and not getting spilled... spiked version for me, please... everyone laughing... and chatting... and the tree looking gorgeous in the end.

Real life rarely imitates my imagination.

The Stern German has been busy deer hunting most nights after work and off and on all weekend just a few miles away... so he is in and out of the house all the time.

The Angsty Teen didn't want to decorate the tree when I wanted to do it, so at first I thought I would wait a few hours and see if she wanted to help then.

I sometimes worry about the fact that I tend to do the same things over and over and expect different results... insanity, much?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the perfect family tree-decorating evening was just going to be a figment of my imagination... or actually I realized that the perfect family tree-decorating evening was just going to be with myself!

I had looked and looked for pictures of families happily decorating Christmas trees that I could put on here... lots of perfectly groomed blonde children... happily participating in the family activity...

(source)
But there were no pictures of families with teenagers happily decorating the tree together! Apparently we are normal...


My Christmas tree is finally up... not that it's all that late.. in fact, this is kind of early for me.


The tree looks beautiful. It makes me smile... and no one is going to need therapy to recover from the holiday memory of forced family fun. The older I get, the wiser I become.

So as I sit here with my glass of goodness...
Source: repinly.com via Sally on Pinterest

I'm loving some Christmas music. Several songs, both old and new, make me smile... but this is the one I'm loving tonight:

All I Want for Christmas is You... to be responsible, respectful, and fun to be around, Angsty Teen... today was better than the day before... but I didn't see you much. (I know correlation does not necessarily prove causation... but... maybe there is a correlation here?)

All I Want for Christmas is You... to help me get some projects done around the house, Stern German... and to give me some cash too, I think... probably mostly the cash...

All I Want for Christmas is You... to stop barking at every damn thing, dog.

That's all I've got... Have a great day! What Christmas songs are making you smile this week?

5 comments:

  1. I've been listening to NSync's Merry Christmas Happy Holidays song :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on the GFC Blog Hop.
    I remember being a teenager, and loving to decorate our Christmas tree, not that my mom would let me actually touch the tree. She was/is slightly obsessed with it looking perfect and apparently my sister and I weren't good enough to decorate it. So of course, I get move out, get married and won't let my husband touch the tree either. I guess I'm making up for all the years I couldn't decorate the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I'm really hoping I don't become my mother... but it is kind of inevitable!

      Delete
  3. It's definitely normal to not want to decorate the tree. I did as a kid, but not as a teenager! Now I love it again. Let's hope she gets there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I want for Christmas is .....another pug since one is just not enough. Funny--I was always trying to create that Norman Rockwell sort of Christmas card feeling with the family when it came time to decorate the tree--and I did for many years when my kids were little. Now they are all young adults (except for the youngest--17) and I've decided I LIKE to decorate the tree by myself! I pour a glass of spiked egg nog, play the oldies but goodies in Xmas tunes (Bing Crosby, Perry Como...) and end up with a perfect tree because there is no one bickering over what ornament goes where, or worse yet, broken ornaments. I leave all the outside stuff to the boys--I prefer sipping my egg nog in peace. Now I think I'm going to hit your GFC follower button....

    ReplyDelete