Thursday, December 13, 2012

Cataract Ranch... or something like that...

Yesterday my mom had cataract surgery on one of her eyes. Yep, less than two weeks before Christmas... it was, apparently, time to have it done.

I was trying not to be bitter... and I was doing a pretty good job...

But after her procedure when she said that she has had cataract issues since they lived on Zippel Bay in northern Minnesota... I did the math...

I realized that the Angsty Teen was only two years old when they moved away from there... and I'm pretty sure that this could've been done a while ago... or been put off until after Christmas...

Damn... now I'm not doing such a good job of not being bitter...

I'll get over it...

When my mom checked in for her appointment the person at the front desk said, "Dr. Mulet will be so glad you are here!" (That's not Mulet as in "business in the front, party in the back" but "Moo-lay"... His call... I've heard it both ways.)

Why was he going to be so glad she was there? 

Well, come to find out... the previous week he had cancelled all his surgery appointments... for whatever reason... disease...pestilence... whatever... and all those dumb bunnies from last week were scheduled for yesterday along with all the people who were already scheduled for that day.

So he had double the surgeries scheduled... and my mom was at THE END OF THE DAY. 

He was behind schedule... and it just took forever to even get her in the room for surgery... such a long afternoon/evening. If I'd have known that his schedule was soooo full... I would've offered to reschedule for AFTER the holidays.

I spent 9 1/2 hours with my parents yesterday... some with my dad... some with my mom... and some all together... and it was exhausting.

This is the song I think of when I think about cataracts... or Cadillacs...(Again,  I've heard it both ways.)


And, apparently, this song is about the Cadillac Ranch.. I  took my girls there on our first big road trip... I think the Angsty Teen was just an ornery preschooler then... and Kati was probably eleven.

Someday I will go through all my photos and get them organized... and then I will be able to show you pictures from that trip... I'll bet you are thrilled... but, for now... you'll just have to take my word for it.

And, anyway, I've heard that happiness is a blogger take a family vacation and take 1000 photos... with the lens cap on... so maybe you don't even want to see my family vacation pics.... not to worry. I'll probably never take the time to find/organize them anyway!
We brought spray paint with us and wrote on those exact Cadillacs!
So, anyway, my mom is healing up...

And she got to use this sweet gadget...
 That Bair Paws pump on the wall... hooked up to her paper-like hospital gown...

and filled it like a pillow with WARM air. Dang...  I want one of those for Christmas. Not really joking. I would be warm all winter! Especially if it came as a travel model... which could plug into my car... ahhhh... warmth... all winter long.

Obviously MARvelous


No comments:

Post a Comment