Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tomorrow...

Well... it's Tuesday... and I'm pretending that it is just another day. I guess it actually is... but tomorrow is NOT just another day... hopefully. Tomorrow is a big deal... at least to me.

But today the diabetic, geriatric, bariatric, blind guy and I are making soup... his own special Blind Guy Easy, Peasy, Veggie Beef Soup. It is vegetable beef soup with barley and wild rice... and it always turns out to be delicious.

To date he hasn't cut off any fingertips while slicing and dicing the carrots, onions, etc. So that's always a good thing.
We made the soup a couple weeks ago for my mom and him... but today we are making it for the 25+ people that live where my parents live... for one of their lunch options.

The good part about this is that we won't be leaving the building at all.. so no Walmart visit... but that is great since it is still supposed to be below zero! Brrrr. Yesterday we went to PT at the local hospital. It was about 8 degrees below zero. Less than ideal.

The bad part about this is that the guy loves to taste things or scratch his nose... so we spend a lot of time re-sanitizing him and the area around him. But we will get the soup made.

But then, after today... comes tomorrow (that's a pretty profound statement!) and that is a day I'm really looking forward to.


See, I'm not very good at taking time for myself...  or maybe there just isn't time to take... I'm actually not sure what that even looks like in some ways. But I'm gonna give it a try! I might need a little help...

I'm looking for input. Help a sister -who's old enough to be your mother- out, please?

How do you carve out time for yourself? Do you do little amounts of time or big blocks of time? What do you like to do during that time? What do you do if you have money to spend? What do you do that doesn't cost a whole lot?

Tomorrow I'm going to take the diabetic, geriatric, bariatric, blind guy to Walmart in the morning... and then... before I would have get to eat lunch with my parents for the third day in a row... I'll be... heading out of town all by myself for over 24 hours... I will be leaving my diabetic, geriatric, bariatric parents and the Stern German and the Dog That Always Barks and the Angsty Teen behind...  Sorry, girl, you have school... and a whole list of other activities... you have to stay home.

Let me just say that I'm not a superstitious person... I don't really think I can hex this just by saying it out loud... but with all the stuff that has been going on with my parents' health... or lack thereof... I'm kind of thinking that if say this out loud... or get too excited about it... that it won't happen.


So, cross your fingers... and give me some ideas of ways to spend an hour or two. The things on the list so far? I'm going to a cooking class that I found out about from another Minnesota Blogger. It's held twice a month at her mom's house. I am so excited about it!!!

Since the class is about two hours from my house, I Pricelined a hotel room for myself. I am going to be all by myself. I am so excited about this! But I'm not really saying this out loud...

Cross your fingers for me...  send a little prayer my way that no one that I'm responsible for has any medical emergencies or illnesses for the next 48 hours!

This seems too good to be true... and I'm so excited!

4 comments:

  1. Your dad is adorable in that picture. He looks so happy. Have fun at your class. Maybe check out a bookstore or just wander around target and enjoy being alone. Or get a pedicure. Just enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! All of those veggies look so good cut up and colorful! Have fun, everything will be fine :)

    xo

    p.s. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You so deserve this little break! Enjoy your down time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Enjoy the day to yourself and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete