Thursday, February 7, 2013

Apple Pie

It's Thursday... well, actually, it's Wednesday night when I'm writing this... and I am tired... maybe more than tired... exhausted... or exhaustipated... too tired to give a crap... haha...

Anyway, I'm going to tell you about the pie I made with my dad earlier this week.

This is the pie crust recipe I meant to use:
Source: sheknows.com via Sally on ef="http://pinterest.com/" style="color: #76838b; text-decoration: underline;" target="_blank">Pinterest

I have hauled three bags (apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, graters, measuring cups, measuring spoons, bowls, knives, cutting boards, spatulas, sugar, flour, salt, pie plate, etc.) of stuff over to his place every day for over a week to make pie... and every single day something has come up... he's too tired... he he needs to go to an unplanned doctor's appointment, or whatever... and we don't end up making any pie.

So  a couple of days ago, I grabbed the bags of stuff out of my house... and forgot the crust in the refrigerator. When I got to his place, I left all the pie stuff in my car, because I didn't think my diabetic, geriatric, beriatric, blind father would want to do anything that day. But... I was wrong.

Yep, I was wrong. Don't tell the Stern German I said that... that's not a real thing.

Turns out my dad was game to make a pie. So I went back down to my car and schlepped everything up to the breakfast room down the hall from where he lives.

We ended up using a Pillsbury pie crust that I had stowed in their freezer a while ago...

This is how we made the pie:
Washing hands, washing apples, using the corer/peeler/slicer on some sweet Golden Delicious apples, tasting the peel/eating apples, using the corer/peeler/slicer on some tart Granny Smith apples, adding the rest of the ingredients, stirring them up...

The large picture? That is a picture of my dad grating nutmeg. I don't think he had ever done that before...

The pie recipe we used may be found here: Byerly's Apple Pie Recipe.

It was a great recipe... and I actually followed it... except for the fact that I didn't have two crusts... so ours was, basically, a topless pie... and, it tasted fantastic! I will make this again.

I could just do the filling if I wanted to make it be gluten-free...(Right, Kati?)

It was a fun activity to do with my diabetic, geriatric, bariatric, blind dad... (probably should of used Splenda...) and I think it would be fun to do with children... of all ages...

Hey, Angsty Teen, wanna make a pie with me? Yeah, she probably doesn't... because if she did... she would probably have to put down her phone... and follow directions from me... Neither one of those are her favorite things... just sayin'.

Obviously MARvelous

1 comment:

  1. " exhaustipated... too tired to give a crap" haha too funny!

    this pie looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete