Thursday, February 21, 2013

Expectations

Today.... I'm getting a haircut! I haven't had a haircut since September...

I know, that's really sad. I did have one scheduled for last month... but the person who cut my hair was put on a reduced work load due to her pregnancy. 

Really? Your child is more important than my hair? Just kidding...

Haircuts are tricky things... especially in my small town. There are probably a a couple people... well, maybe one.... in my small town whom I would trust to cut my hair... but I haven't found that person yet.

There is a guys' haircutting place in the mall in Mankato that has a liquor license. Maybe if I had a drink while I was getting my hair cut I wouldn't really care who cut it or how it looked in the end...

As it is, I head up to the Twin Cities for a haircut... about an hour drive... because... I have found two people up there that I trust with my hair... well, Kati and the Angsty Teen keep reminding me that the one person isn't as great as I remember... So, maybe there's just one person I would go to.

And it has been tricky to actually get away for a cut.

I don't expect a lot... okay, maybe I do... but maybe this is what everyone hopes for in a haircut. 

Here's what I'd like:

1. I don't want to walk away from an appointment with my hair looking all puffy... like a mushroom cap... that has happened before... mostly here, in my town. Not a good look...

2. I don't want to have to spend a ton of time styling my hair to have it look good... 

3. I don't want to look like a little old lady...

4. I don't want anything asymmetrical...

5. I don't want to have bangs that are too short...

6. I don't want to have bangs that are too long...

7. I don't want my face to look fat... 

8. I don't want have to wait for it to grow out for it to look good....

9. I don't want to have to too short... it's winter in Minnesota... brrr... plus, see #6.

10. I don't want it too long... In other words... I don't want it to look like I didn't even get a haircut...

11. I don't want it too long AND too short...
Source: google.com via Penny on Pinterest

12. I don't want to have to buy $50 in products for it to look good.

13. I don't want to have to curl it to have it be looking decent.

14. I don't want to have to use a hair dryer on a regular basis... it gets all puffy... see #1.

15. I don't want to have to show up with pictures... just work your magic on me. Read my mind...

16.  I don't want someone to talk to me while they are washing my hair/massaging my scalp... it can be kind of a religious experiences... shut up, already.

17. I want my cut to look great all the time. 

18. I want to be able to wear it scrunched up and kind of wavy or blow-dried and straight... if I ever wanted to take the time.

19. I want to be able to make a cute pony out of it.

20. I want it to look noticeably different... in a good way...


20. I want... well, that might be all, really... except for the drink. I would love to have a glass of wine while I get my hair cut.

In September I think my person had to cancel and so I ended up going with someone else at the same saloon salon.

So long ago...
The cut was fine enough... but  it really only looked good that day... Well, maybe it looked good for two days... but she didn't really make it work for me beyond the initial styling.

My hair person is good at giving me a cut that will look good whether I style it or not... That's kind of a magical thing... So, hopefully... today is the day...

I sure hope that this works out... 

You probably think it sounds like I'm looking for a Miracle Worker... Anne Sullivan cuts hair? Well, that might be okay... but sometimes... after the long drive... and after doling out a ton of cash... my hair looks more like Helen did the cut and style...

Maybe I should bring my flask.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, maybe you should print out your list and give it to your stylist before she starts. I hate going in to a place, get my hair washed (and you are right, do not talk to me), then she asks "how do you usually wear your hair?". Did she not even look at me before she sent me to the shampoo bowl???? Good luck with your cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get nervous about my hair getting cut too, maybe that is why I never do it

    ReplyDelete