Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Glazed Chicken & Noodles w/Spicy Peanut Sauce

This is what I made for supper last Wednesday... and it was fantastic:
Yummmmmm.....
Actually, it was a good week for meals... with Shrimp Risotto, this meal, Shrimp/Chicken/Sausage Gumbo, and a few other menu selections... We eat pretty well around here... that's obvious.

I found this recipe in my Cooking Light magazine and you can find the actual recipe here.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly... but I will tell you what I did:

I did use the first four ingredients that made the glaze! Fresh ginger, hoisin sauce, oil, and soy sauce were all things I had on hand.

Then I guess I didn't actually read where it called for boneless chicken thighs... oops.

After I had already coated the thighs with the glaze, I realized that my thighs were too thick and meaty... well, not my thighs... well, okay, my thighs? yes, they are quite thick and meaty. If I were ever in a plane crash in the mountains with a group of people that didn't have food, I know I might be one of the first ones eaten... people love meaty thighs... and there's plenty of white meat here too... just sayin'...

Anyway... I knew that the glaze would probably burn since I had to bake the thighs for a whole lot longer because they had the bone in them... so I turned them upside down on the foil-lined , non-stick spray coated pan... and baked them for about 20 minutes that way... and then turned them over for about 10 minutes so the glazed could carmelize... Those times are approximate... because I don't exactly remember what I did... I cooked them until the thermometer read 155 degrees... then I took them out to sit, covered, for five to ten minutes.

For the pasta I used whole wheat spaghetti... no udon noodles in my town,.. and there wasn't any Szechuan sauce either... and I had crunchy peanut butter to use up...

So for the noodles I really didn't follow the recipe much...

Instead of the Szechuan sauce, I had some Teriyaki sauce in the fridge, so I used that. I did use soy sauce and fresh lime juice... I usually have limes on hand... just seeing them on the counter or in the refrigerator makes me smile... just knowing that I could whip up a margarita any old time I want makes me happy.

I didn't use carrots or green onions in the noodles... I didn't want to cut carrots up baby carrots... and that's all I had on hand... and I forgot to buy green onions.

So, basically, even though I thought I was going to follow the recipe when I started... I didn't have a prayer in the world of doing that... what with ingredients MIA in my small town, things I wanted to use up, and things I forgot to buy... oops.

I did top the noodles with fresh cilantro... cilantro makes me happy, too...

I did a check on wine pairing to come up with something for this meal... but a few sites said that this kind of cheap, Asian street food would be best paired with a beer... so, that's what we did... when in Rome... or wherever...

It was a delicious meal... and I ripped the recipe page out of the magazine so I don't forget to make it again... so I'm pretty excited about that!

Have a great day! Let me know if you ever try either of these recipes.

(source)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this recipe... I am currently pregnant and craving these types of foods but always scared to try a new recipe. Your photo inspired me and your description is exactly my style of cooking. I can't wait to give it a try this week.

    ReplyDelete