Thursday, March 21, 2013

In-Law Invasion

Tonight all, well... nearly all, of my husband's siblings and their spouses descended upon us for the evening. They were going to talk about their dad's health.

I can't really say "all" of his siblings because his youngest sister (who is ten years younger than him... yep, seven kids in ten years with two miscarriages thrown in there... can we say "busy?")...

Anyway, his youngest sister doesn't have anything to do with the family. She only does what God tells her to do... and apparently, God tells her to ignore her family... even her mother... yep, that sounds Biblical... even when her mom had just weeks to live... and God tells her not to cash her Christmas checks... and He tells her what to make for supper... and...  Well, you get the idea.

When Kati was little she wondered what this aunt would do if she had to go to the bathroom and God said, "No." Kati asked me if her aunt would just wet her pants... Kati was pretty wise way back at the age of five.

Anyway, they all came for supper... and the Stern German told them not to bring anything... Really? Why would this be a good idea? When I asked him... he was, suddenly, unsure. But to his credit... he felt bad that he had said that... and he cleaned like a banshee... Not really sure if banshees clean... but you probably get the point that he was cleaning himself out of a corner... so to speak.
I love this picture so much I thought I would include it again...
I made three different kinds of soups this afternoon... Wild Rice Soup, White Chicken Chili that is really reddish... but it has white beans in it, and Sausage, Chicken, and Shrimp Gumbo.
Perfect for a blustery, Minnesota night...
We went through several pitchers of delicious margaritas before the meal... and with our soups...

And for dessert we had mini cheesecakes... plain cheesecake with cherry or blueberry topping and chocolate cheesecakes with chocolate ganache... After everyone left the Stern German said the cheesecakes were really good...

Huh... imagine my surprise since these are the exact same cheesecakes I made to give my stepson and my stepdaughter's husband for Month Two of their six month subscription to my Dessert of the Month Club I gave them for Christmas...

And, a few weeks ago, when I made them... the Stern German and his apparently not-so-discriminating palate... said they weren't very good... So, since I didn't want to give them something that wasn't my best... I didn't give those guys their desserts...

I just stuck them in the freezer... until tonight...
Why did I listen to him? Now I still have February and March desserts to  make...
So now the dishes are all done, one of the Stern German's brother-in-laws helped with some of the kitchen cleanup... he was avoiding the conversation... I can't say that I blame him... It's an interesting mix of personalities.

I think everything is put away, the garbage is taken out, the recycling can go out tomorrow...

Now I need to get ready for bed... it's pretty late...

But... there just happens to be a half of a pitcher of margaritas left...

Suddenly, I'm feeling quite thirsty...

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Michelle!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment