Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What We Made Wednesday

I'm wondering what I've made lately that I can use to link up with Dawn from Mom-a-Logues for her "What We Made Wednesday" linkup. Dawn is a fellow Minnesota Blogger. I've only met her once at a Minnesota Blogger get together... I haven't been able to make the last few meet-ups... but I have enjoyed getting to know her through reading her blog.

So, what have I made lately? I think this is a good time to show you our traditional St. Patrick's Day feast.

Every year for a very, very, very, very, long time... maybe about 20 years... I have made green brownies for St. Patrick's Day. How do you make green brownies? With lots and lots and lots and lots of green food coloring... in the batter.... and in the chocolate frosting...

Sometimes they look like a beautiful emerald green... sometimes they look like goose-poop green...

And, the funniest part of this whole dessert is that food coloring doesn't break down in your system... so, in a few days you, pardon my bluntness, poop green. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world... but it's just once a year.

In fact, we kind of have a little family contest to see who poops green first every year. (It's never me... I'm not a fan of how the food coloring tastes... The Angsty Teen would like to be the winner.... but, usually, it's the Stern German... probably because he eats so many more of them than she does...)
This year I used cream cheese frosting....
This year I added a little less green food coloring to both the brownies and the frosting... and I started with cream cheese frosting... instead of chocolate frosting... hence the weird frosting color. Usually it is a deep emerald green. The white frosting? Well, I made Baileys Irish Cream Cheese Frosting for some of the brownies.... soooooo good!

About five years ago for Kati's college spring break her freshman year, the two of us flew to Denver for the week. We had a blast doing Denver-y things, seeing some friends, and taking a cooking class together.

The theme of the cooking class was Irish Foods. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the theme... Italian would sound so much better... or French, or... just about anything except Irish. When I think of Ireland, their cuisine isn't the first thing to come to mind... So, I was a little unsure about the class. (Potato Famine, anyone?)

The class was a lot of fun and the food was, surprisingly, tasty! A tradition was born... well, a few additional foods were added onto the previous menu of my traditional green brownies Now I make Shepherd's Pie and Irish Soda Bread, too.

Since I couldn't quickly locate the recipes from that class this week, I found other recipes online.

I made Rachael Ray's 30 minutes Shepherd's Pie recipe... I kind of followed it... and it was delicious.
Lots of mashed potatoes to top it... 
You can make the mashed potatoes way in advance... in saves all the last minute prep work. Other changes I made? I used antelope meat instead of beef or lamb. It's just a little stronger flavored than beef... so it's kind of like lamb! (This recipe would be easy to make gluten-free... just use a g-free thickening agent instead of flour... and make sure the Worcestershire sauce you use is g-free as well... Lea and Perrins is gluten-free.)

I used an Irish Soda Bread recipe from the Barefoot Contessa.
I used Craisins instead of currants.

As you can see, my bread was doughy at first... I had to bake it a lot longer than the recipe said... so... it wasn't all that great. Maybe my oven temp is off. I'll have to check that. I didn't throw it away... I'm thinking that it might make pretty good French Toast...

So, that's what I've made lately... It looks like this was supposed to be for something "we" made... I haven't made much with the Angsty Teen lately... except we did make fun of some people together... Does that count?

I'm pretty sure I can still link up...

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Awww, thanks for linking up. The green brownies look delicious.

      Delete
  2. I love shepards pie!! One of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! Everything looks good and that Bailey's frosting sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the brownies look SO good! yummmm

    ReplyDelete