Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Minnesota Blogger Get Together!

Last Friday was the second time I was able to get together with other Minnesota Bloggers for an event. We had a cooking class and there was a pretty good turnout.
Minnesota Bloggers
It was a fun night... but for a while... all of my photos were coming out blurry... so I put my glasses on thinking the pictures must just be blurry to me... but they weren't.

Then I tried taking more pictures with my glasses on... and that didn't help...
Finally someone suggested I wipe off the lens of my phone... yep, it was smeary and smudgy! Guess that happens when you're cooking and snapping pics! I didn't end up with a clear group picture...

The night consisted of:

 ... a little chopping, slicing, dicing, and sautéing:


... a lot of picture taking.... especially of the food:
Bloggers take lots and lots of pictures.
... some wine consumption and craziness:
... some munching and crunching:

                       Chicken Lettuce Wraps                                       Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza
                       Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad                                              BLT Pasta Salad

... a bit of a  birthday bash...
Whose birthday was it? Can you tell from the pictures? It was....  Tatum Channing... or Channing Tatum. I actually don't know which it is. (I rarely, if ever, go to movies... so I haven't ever seen him in a movie, and seriously... the guy has two first names... or two last names... I've heard it both ways.)  I could Google it... but I did that once and I still don't remember...
... and a whole lot of fun!

I saw some bloggers I had met in September, missed some that weren't able to make it,  and met some new ones. I was, by far, the old lady of the group... but everyone was a lot of fun.

A fine time was had by all.

There's a linkup for all of the Minnesota Bloggers who attended the cooking class. Click here to see who all linked up and to read other bloggers' thoughts about the evening!
This is the BLT Pasta Salad I made at home on Saturday...
The Stern German and the Angsty Teen devoured it.
I posted this picture of the BLT Pasta Salad I made the day after the cooking class... and someone asked me for the recipe... So here it is:

BLT Pasta Salad

8 ounces pasta (We used corkscrew at the class... but they don't sell that in my town, so I used penne.)
1/2 cup milk
1 lb. bacon
3 ripe tomatoes (cut into chunks)
1 tablespoon of a garlic/pepper spice blend (We used Wildtree brand for all our spices... so good.)
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons of an onion/chive spice blend
5 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
2 green onion tops, diced (or chopped chives)

Cook pasta according to the package and drain. Toss pasta with milk in large bowl. Set aside.

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. (This is great to do ahead of time.)

In 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings, sauté tomatoes and garlic with the onion/chive spice blend until warmed through. Season with the garlic/pepper spice blend.

Crumble bacon into bite-sized pieces. Set aside 1/4 cup of the bacon for the top of the salad.

Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.

Mix the mayo and sour cream until smooth. Add to pasta and stir until mixed.

Gently stir in the lettuce. Garnish with green onions or chives and the reserved bacon.

Serve at room temperature.

7 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you again! Love your recap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad I had to miss it Sally - I wanted to see you again and share a glass of wine..hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way Lauren is admiring my chopping skills. :) Good to see you again! I swore I was following you before, but regardless- that's remedied now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recap. It was such a fun night. Dawn and I are planning to come to another class soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha it's Channing Tatum, but I understand the confusion. All that food looks amazing. I want to eat everything right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Channing Tatum. rent she's the man, thats a cute one! ;)

    so fun to have you and see you TWICE this month! great recap, you have some fun pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to meet you, Sally! Hope we get to hang out again soon, my SE MN sista. :)

    ReplyDelete