Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Last week the Angsty Teen was hungry for a Caesar salad. I thought it sounded good, even though I  didn't have any Caesar dressing or croutons on hand
After the tough day she'd had, I decided that those things were solvable... After all, I did have lettuce and a block of parmesan cheese.

I found a recipe (Click here to find the recipe I used...) of someone's on Food Network... Cathy Lowe? Who is that? Is she on Food Network? I don't know, I don't think so... but I thought the recipe looked easy enough... and I actually had all of the ingredients on hand...
Source: dumpaday.com via Sally on Pinterest

Fortunately this ingredient list wasn't too bad:

Garlic? Check!
Vinegar? Red wine, white, and apple cider!
Mayonaise? Yep!
Olive oil? Always!
Salt? Duh...
Pepper? Again, duh...
Lemon juice? Always some in the bottle in the fridge, but I actually had a fresh lemon on hand!
Anchovy filets? Well...
Dijon mustard? Hmmmmm.....

Well, okay, I was missing one of the ingredients... can you guess which one I didn't have?

No, it wasn't the anchovies... I had bought a tin of those a while back and they were down in the basement on the pantry shelves. I was even able to find the can! (For those of you with perfectly organized pantries, that might not seem like a very big deal... but trust me, it was a huge deal for me!)

It was the Dijon mustard... I didn't have any of that stuff. I substituted a little regular mustard.

So I started making the dressing and sipping some wine:

All I can say is I'm VERY, VERY glad that the Stern German didn't want any wine... Oh, and I'm also VERY, VERY glad that I went light on the garlic!

The recipe called for SIX cloves. I used one largish one... it probably counted as two of the six.
And my dressing was plenty garlicky... maybe even a little too strong. I don't like it when the raw garlic in something makes my tongue burn... and this did... just a titch. (Really? Titch isn't a word?)

I didn't use all of the olive oil either... only about half... I didn't want the dressing to be too runny.

For the croutons, I just sliced up leftover bread into cubes and sautéed them with a little olive oil and salt/pepper until they were crispy, but still chewy.

The salad was delicious... This week I made it again and we had grilled chicken on it. So good.

I don't have enough time to tell you what it is like when the Stern German grills for us... that'll be another post...

If you've never made a salad dressing, give it a try. It's definitely cheaper than a buying the dressing... and your family thinks you slaved away just for them... and you get to drink wine while you make all that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment