Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mail Time

When kids get mail at camp, I feel like singing this Blue's Clues song:
It's a pretty great song...

But, I don't sing that song when they get mail here. At camp kids usually have to do something goofy and/or embarrassing to get their mail from home.

It has been this way at camps since the dawn of civilization. I would know... I had to do dumb stuff in order to ever get my letters from my mom when I was at camp.

My friend who runs the camp I'm cooking at was trying to describe a game she was going to have the senior high kids play in front of the rest of the camp in order to get their mail.

She said, "They have to bend over, grab their ankles, and look for the hole."

That just sounds... well, um... wrong. Just wrong.

When I told her I didn't know what the game was, this is how it was further explained:
  • All the campers stand in a circle. 
  • The kids who have letters/care packages to claim come into the center of the circle. 
  • After they're in position there is an opening made in the circle. 
  • The campers who have mail cannot see the "door" 
  • These campers struggle to find their way around the circle to locate the opening. 
  • Once they get out of the circle, they get their mail.
Why can't they see the opening?

Because...  "They have to bend over, grab their ankles, and look for the hole."

Well, now that makes sense.

I told her she might want to explain it a little differently to the high school kids...

1 comment: