Monday, July 1, 2013

Staying Centered

On Saturday we went to a wedding reception for the Stern German's niece. The Angsty Teen wanted to drive. The Stern German wanted to take his truck... That, my friends, is the definition of dilemma.

The Stern German loves his truck. In fact, he loves his truck so much that I haven't ever driven it in the 2 1/2 years he's owned it. Not that he wouldn't let me... I think... but I don't need to drive his truck to be happy. 

I like driving my little orange Edge. I'd probably like driving his truck, but I know how the Fates would play out this hand. Something. would. go. wrong.

So, I stick to driving my own vehicle. I don't need to go looking for trouble.

On Saturday, this was the scene for a 2+ hour really, really, really long truck ride:
The Angsty Teen wasn't angsty until her father started being... well, true to his Stern German self.

The phrase uttered by the Stern One about 58 times... well, let's see... that's once every two and a half minutes... He might have uttered the phrase more frequently than that... but the phrase got to be awfully annoying.

What was the phrase? "Keep centered in your lane," he said.

Well, it was more along the lines of:

 "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane." "Keep centered in your lane."


It was a long ride.

He did utter a few other phrases... one that made me laugh was: 
There could be deer coming across the road up here.

I looked up... just a plain, empty field. No trees for those deer to come out from... I kind of pictured them trying to look skinny behind a road sign so no one would see them, and then pouncing out at the last minute. 

I probably should've kept my mouth shut... but I kind of wanted to know where those sneaky guys would come from in this wide, open space.

The Stern German didn't think it was funny. 

Well, it would be more accurate to say that the Stern German was unamused. That's not new.

So, when do you think this picture of me coloring my hair took place... before or after the trip? 

Dang, maybe I should have covered the gray before AND after the trip. 

I'd better go look in the mirror...

5 comments:

  1. HAAAA! The deer. Cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to think I'd be laid back when my children are student drivers or want to drive me, but I probably won't be. hahah. I don't do well with people I dub "bad drivers" (which is quite subjective, actually..) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha oh man! Sounds like my dad teaching me to drive. Nothing about deers though, just keeping centered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even imagine teaching my daughters how to drive. Many deep breaths and a whole hell of a lot of patience (that I don't have ) will have to be mustered up before I let them behind the wheel. YIIIKKKESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

      Delete
  4. Haha oh gosh. I'm sure your daughter will remember/laugh at that drive for years to come! My mom was a fan of "fake breaking". You know, pushing her foot into the floor of the passenger side in attempt to stop the car. haha.

    ReplyDelete