Thursday, August 8, 2013

Throwback Thursday: China

This post is about China...
someecards.com - Let's proudly wave our American flags made in China

well... maybe not China... but... maybe more like china... You know... dinnerware.

Back in 1985... yeah, I know... a lot of you weren't even born yet... or you were in preschool... I was planning my wedding to Kati's dad. I was young... I was sure it was going to be amazingly great... I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that this marriage would last forever.

I was wrong... so very, very wrong. But, that's a story for another day.

Back in those days everyone registered for china... for their chosen china pattern... and this was mine:
Noritake Etienne
I had a ton of those dishes... place setting after place setting... plus lots of serving pieces.

After my first husband's decision to walk out and go where he thought the grass was greener... (and, might I add.... he finally figured out it wasn't... or so I'm told...) I met, and married, the Stern German.

I used my china on very rare occasions... but really? My life really wasn't like my mother's. She had a formal dining room, a china hutch, and lots of fancy dishes. This was how I thought everyone's life was supposed to be when I was younger... but I figured out, later, that wasn't how it was for everyone.

Our house was small... with very little storage. And, I didn't exactly have fond memories of those dishes anyway.

So about 15 years ago, for Christmas, I gave the Stern German's mother all of my china. The only fancy dishes she owned she had purchased back when the Stern German was confirmed... so a really, really, really, really long time ago.

The china I gave her coordinated beautifully with the stuff she had...  She absolutely loved using all of the dishes for holidays... in the garage... on banquet tables... with plastic tablecloths...

But, that's okay... it wasn't as fancy as my mom did things... but the Stern German's mom was thrilled with getting to use nice dishes when all 30+ immediate family members got together.

The Stern German's mom passed away a few years ago and his dad decided to empty/sell the house.

Now the dishes are back in my house... and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them. Options include:

a) Selling them at the marching band's garage sale (tonight)
b) Smashing them in the street
c) Donating them to a charity
d) Selling them on Ebay or somewhere similar

Hmmmm.... Probably won't smash them... because then I would have to pick up the shards... and I'd probably cut myself...

But I'm not really sure what to do with all these dishes... Any thoughts?

Flinging them through my ex's windows? Well, of course I wouldn't do that...


1 comment:

  1. I was born! Barely, but I was born. Sell them if you can, at least try to make a profit? Otherwise just let them go. To charity or through a window, just get the negative memories out of the house. Don't need 'em.

    ReplyDelete