Thursday, August 1, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Games

(via)
 I really like to play games. Except for the fact that... um... we never play games... so maybe I don't really know if I like to play them anymore.

That Guy of Kati's asked her what our family likes to do together... That's kind of a tricky question.

The Stern German has always liked to hunt.

The Angsty Teen, Kati, and I took trips every summer... and we like to shop...

So... what do we do together? I'll have to give that some more thought... I'm sure there's something...

I do remember loving games as a kid... and, in theory, I love the idea of a family game night. But whenever we tried to play games, the Stern German would make up his own rules, Kati would get mad at him, and the Angsty Teen (who is eight years younger than Kati) would cry if she wasn't winning.

Doesn't that sound like fun? Game nights are not remembered fondly around here.

Here are the top three games I remember playing as a kid...

1. Chutes and Ladders
Spin that spinner... hope for the best... Oh, and stay away from the cookie jar.
(via)


2. Trouble
Didn't you have to pop a six on the die to get out of the starting gate?
(via)
We played this game a lot. We never owned Sorry... which is kind of the same type of game... but since we were polite, I'm sure we said, "Sorry!" every time we sent someone home anyway.

3. Pit
This one was definitely the noisiest game we ever played...
(via)
Hollering "Two! Two!" or "Four! Four! Four! Four!" to try to get someone to trade cards with you... This was a fun game to play!

Those are three of the games I liked best. Sometime I will tell you about the games I ended up playing the most with my brother... He was kind of a dirty, rotten cheater... so... that never worked out so well for me.

What games did you play as a kid? Lots of you are soooo much younger than I am... I would love to hear what games you all played.

2 comments:

  1. Walker's family is suuuuuper into games, especially the strategy kind (Settlers of Catan, Risk, etc.) so I always end up sitting at a table for hours on end playing "on his team" when we visit! Not my favorite!

    My family never got really big into games, but we like more lighthearted ones. Have you head of Loaded Questions? It's hilarious! What about Scattergories? You guys also strike me as a Scrabble/Bananagrams type of family since you all like words so much, so I'm surprised they didn't make the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Chutes and ladders. So fun.

    ReplyDelete