Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What My Mother Taught Me

someecards.com - It's tragic that you had to deal with that many idiots at once

My mom was an RN back in the day. She still loves to have medical discussions with everyone around her... Anytime anyone at her lunch table has tests run at the clinic she thoroughly enjoys getting all the details... and she is very free with information concerning her bowels... I'm pretty sure that's from her medical background... or maybe it's just what older people talk about... often.

There's one medical topic that she gets on every so often... and while she is dead serious in her discussion and/or description of this topic from her nursing school days...  I laugh and laugh until I cry... every single time... because she is so serious and technical in her medical explanation.

Back when she was in nursing school (about 1948 and 1949, I think) people who were mentally challenged were divided into three different categories.

The three categories? Idiots, imbeciles, and morons. No, really. These were medical terms.

According to my mother (I think I got this right... but I might have them mixed up... I was laughing awfully hard at her serious discussion of these terms... and I might have missed a few details) an idiot is the dumbest with an IQ of 0 to 25.

Really? Zero? Is that a real thing?

An imbecile is not quite as dumb as an idiot. Well, that's good news, huh? Apparently the IQ of an imbecile tends to be higher than an idiot's. Their IQ falls between 26-50.

A moron? You guessed it... a moron has the highest level of intelligence for someone who is mentally challenged.
(via)

So the next time you're driving down the road and you start to think that someone you who cut you off in traffic... or turned right in front of you...  or swerved into your lane is an idiot...  you might want to rethink that...

It's possible they aren't quite that dumb.


Interesting internet facts: In Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Ohio "idiots" don't have the right to vote. (source)

"Idiot" derives from the ancient Greek "idio" meaning "person lacking professional skill" or "mentally deficient person incapable of ordinary reasoning".


1 comment: