Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

(via)
It's the night before Thanksgiving...

  • the wild rice dressing is made... 
  • the green bean casserole (for the Angsty Teen) is ready to bake... 
  • the jellied cranberries and whole cranberry sauce from the cans are ready to serve... 
  • the Reindeer Relish (it's a combination of fresh cranberries, apples, and oranges) and a savory cranberry chutney is ready to go...
  • The Stern German's wild turkey (not to be confused with the bourbon of the same name) is ready for the oven...
  • a regular-Joe turkey is also ready (because leftover turkey is the best!)
  • the pumpkin pies are cooling
  • the wine is chilling... 
  • and so am I!
We are bringing my parents to our home for Thanksgiving. My dad hasn't been here since his stroke nearly two years ago. And, it's been quite while since my mom has been here. She is excited to see my house and any changes we've made to the furnishings.

The Stern German built a ramp for the front steps... although my diabetic, geriatric, bariatric blind guy of a dad insists he can walk up the 4-5 steps even though he's hasn't done that many steps in two years and he refused to practice going up any steps this week...

The Angsty Teen is ready to be engaging and charming for her grandparents.

Kati will be missed. Actually, she is already. But, I'm sure her Thanksgiving will be nice, too.

In advance, I'm thankful that...
  • no one will have shat their pants by day's end...
  • no one will have fallen getting in or out of the car... (A couple of years ago my mother fell walking past the car and kind of fell under it. It was tricky business to extricate her from the side quarter panel without running over her.)
  • conversation will have flowed as sweet and plentiful as the box of wine I have stashed in the basement fridge will have flowed into my hidden goblet in the kitchen.
Sometimes I don't like my life very much... but I do have a lot to be thankful for.... or for which to be thankful... sometimes it's easy to miss the forest for the trees... whatever that means.

Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment